The Lumenis Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair reduction system is a medical grade laser that treats a range of skin types and hair colours simply and effectively. IPL technology has been proven to create a permanent reduction in the number of re-growing hairs following each treatment in most skin types and therefore offers a highly successful long-term solution to hair reduction.
The procedure involves treating the hair with a light source of specific wavelength which passes harmlessly through the outer layers of skin and is absorbed by the melanin pigment in the hair follicle. The number of treatments required depends on several factors related to your specific kind of hair and skin.
Prior to your IPL treatment you will have a full consultation and a pre-treatment test patch will be carried out so that the laser parameters are matched to your skin and hair type ensuring no unexpected skin reactions occur during your full treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
Typically, a course of 6 treatments, at 6 week intervals, is adequate to provide permanent hair reduction. The number of treatments required however can vary depending on hair density, hair colour, skin type, the area being treated and your hair growth. In turn, the density of your hair and its growth depend on other factors such as age, hormones, medication and your ethnic background. This will be discussed during your consultation.
Pre Treatment Advice
- You must avoid bleaching, plucking, waxing or threading the hair for 6 weeks prior to the treatment.
- Do not use depilatory creams 1 week prior to treatment.
- Please shave the area the day before or the morning of the treatment.
- Make-up, perfume or deodorant should be removed from the area to be treated prior to your appointment time.
- Jewellery near the area to be treated should be removed.
- Inform us if there has been any change in your medical history since your last visit.
Post Treatment Advice
- Immediately after the treatment the area may be red and/or swollen, this may feel like mild sunburn.
- The application of cold compresses after the treatment or Aloe Vera Gel is recommended.
- Do not use saunas, steam rooms or have hot baths or hot showers for 48 hours after the treatment.
- Sun exposure or sun beds must be avoided for at least four weeks after the treatment as this will increase the risk of hyper (increased) and hypo (decreased)pigmentation
- A sun screen (SPF 30) should be used on all exposed parts for four weeks after the treatment.
- Hair regrowth occurs at different rates on different areas of the body. New hair growth will not occur for at least 3 weeks after the treatment, however one to two weeks after the treatment, shedding of the treated hair may occur (this is NOT new hair growth).
- Do not use any other hair removal treatment methods (waxing, electrolysis, plucking or threading) that will disturb the hair follicle at the treatment area for 4-6 weeks after the treatment. Shaving or trimming can be done bewteen treatments.
At Renaissance a customised treatment will be designed for you along with an estimate of how many treatments you may need in order to meet your expectations. For more information or to book a consultation please call us on 8063200.
Before & After
Below are some example of what can be achieved from an IPL course of Hair Reduction.