Photorejuvenation is a non-invasive treatment that provides an effective way to correct and treat skin damage without disruption of the skin’s surface, producing younger and healthier looking skin on the face, neck, chest and hands. It can be tailored to your individual condition and skin type, offering you a personalised and targeted treatment plan.
IPL Skin treatments using Photo Rejuvenation will effectively:
- Treat Broken veins and capillaries
- Reduce Redness caused by broken capillaries and Rosacea
- Eliminate Spider Veins
- Treat imperfections from sun damage and photo-ageing age spots
- Even out skin colour for a more youthful rejuvenated look
- Decrease fine lines and wrinkles
- Treat enlarged pores and Acne and Acne Scarring
How does it work?
IPL treatments are performed using a handheld device that delivers a broad spectrum of light onto the skin’s surface. The wavelengths of light penetrate deep into the skin tissue to stimulate the cells beneath the skin’s surface, and triggers the body’s response to eliminates injured tissues and dead skin cells.
IPL treatments are typically administered in a series of 4-6 treatments performed at intervals of a minimum of 3 weeks. Spreading the treatment over this period provides a gradual improvement of the skin, minimal amount of adverse effects and preserves the important “no downtime” feature of the program.
Is IPL the same as Laser?
IPL technology is based on the same principle as laser but emits a broad spectrum of pulsed light to reach several layers of the skin simultaneously, improving the texture, quality, colour and health of your skin. It can treat multiple conditions simultaneously; including broken veins and capillaries, redness of the skin, age spots, and pigmentation.
What are the benefits of IPL skin rejuvenation?
In addition to improving uneven skin color, sun damage, facial redness (Rosacea), and pigmentation, the heat energy stimulates new collagen production beneath the skin surface, firming and rejuvenating the skin. After a series of IPL treatments at intervals spaced 4 weeks apart the skin will appear more luminous, brighter and smoother. Improvements can be seen 10 days following the first treatment and enhanced results can be seen with each subsequent treatment. The results continue to improve long after the treatment, as IPL stimulates your own natural collagen to rebuild and rejuvenate the skin.
Before and After
Below are examples of how IPL can treat pigmentation, red veins and improve skin texture and appearance.
Are there any side effects?
The intensive light can cause slight swelling and redness in the treatment area, especially in areas where the skin is very thin or especially fragile. However, any redness or soreness typically subsides within a few hours after the procedure.
In the rare cases where side effects do occur, postpone further treatments until after complete healing. The most common side effects are as follows:
- Discomfort – a hot sensation may last for up to an hour after treatment. A cold compress or icepack may be used if desired.
- Blistering – there is always a slight possibility of developing a crust or blister, this is superficial and does not result in any scarring.
- Change of pigment – hypo (lighter) or hyper (darker) pigmentation occurs when there has been exposure to sunlight before or after treatment. This must be avoided 3-4 weeks before and after treatment.
- Excessive swelling – immediately after treatment the skin may swell temporarily and should subside within hours but can last up to 7 days.
- Fragile skin – the skin at or near the treatment site may become fragile – avoid makeup and do not rub the area.
- Bruising – a bruise may appear on the treated area and can last from 5-15 days.
Before you can begin an IPL treatment you must undergo a patch test to determine how the skin will react and also to ensure there are no adverse reactions to treatment. If the patch test is satisfactory a session of treatment will follow.
Contra-indications (Reasons why IPL may not be suitable for you)
- Recent sunburn
- Recent sun exposure or sunbed
- Fake tan on the treatment area
- History of seizures
- Severe dermatitis or eczema (within the treatment area)
- Active infections
- Roaccutane (oral acne medication) use in the last 6 months
- Herpes 1 or 2 (within the treatment area) If you have a history of herpes close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take antiviral medication before the treatment.
- Very dark skin
- Use of Photo sensitising medications
- If put on a course of antibiotics, please contact the clinic before treatment
Do I have to stay out of the sun?
It is important to protect your skin from direct sun exposure over the series of your treatments and it is highly recommended to use an spf30+ sunblock. Sun beds and sun bathing are to be avoided. Photorejuvenation treatments can be carried out all year round as long as you are not planning to be in full sun exposure immediately following a treatment.
Post Treatment Care
- Hot showers, hot baths and saunas are to be avoided for 24 hours. Also anything that generates heat in the skin should as exercise, cooking over a high heat, etc.
- If the skin is broken or a blister appears keep the area lubricated to prevent crusting or scabbing of tissue and contact the clinic.
- Cold packs, Aloe vera or any other cooling preparation may be used to ease temporary discomfort.
- Prolonged sun exposure is to be avoided for 4weeks before treatment and then for the following 4weeks. A total sun block should be applied. If further treatment is needed a commitment to stay out of the sun is necessary. If there is direct sun exposure there are certain complications that may occur that should be discussed fully.
- Makeup can be applied as long as the skin is not broken. Makeup can also serve as an additional sun block if it contains an spf.
At Renaissance we may recommend a combination of treatments, for example a combination of IPL, Image Skincare Peels and Medical Microdermabrasion.
We also recommend combining your treatment with a skincare regime high in Vitamin A, C and E, Hylauronic Acid and a Zinc based SPF 30. This should be maintained throughout the entire course of the treatment and can be continued long term.
A specific treatment plan can be made available following your consultation. Call 01 806 3200 to book an appointment.