Turning back the hands of time
When it comes to turning back the clock and fighting the signs of ageing your hands can often give you away. The skin on the hands tends to age faster as they are exposed daily to chemicals, smoke and, most importantly, UV radiation. Over time the plump layer of tissue on the back of your hands diminishes, allowing veins and tendons to become more visible. Pigmentation and age spots can also cause the hands to age.
Celebrities such as Madonna and Sarah Jessica Parker appear to have aged very well but their hands give away their true age. Madonna has now even resorted to wearing gloves to hide her hands.
Treatments such as IPL Skin rejuvenation, Dermal Fillers and Resurfacing treatments such as Peels can all help to rejuvenate, replenish and protect the hands.
Intense Pulsed Light treatments works by targeting any pigmentation on the hands such as sun and ages spots. The wavelengths of light penetrate deep into the skin tissue to stimulate the cells beneath the skin’s surface, and triggers the body’s response to eliminates injured tissues and dead skin cells.
Dermal Fillers add volume to the skin, plumping the skin and smoothing any lines and wrinkles. There is very little fat on the backs of the hands, so when even a small amount of collagen or elastin fibers begins to break down, which is part of the normal aging process and partly from sun exposure, it is going to have a noticeable impact on your hands.
A resurfacing treatment can improve clarity, even skintone, improve colour and texture. The Image Lightening Lift is a gently blend of lactic acid and lightening and brightening agents to reduce sun spots and pigmentation.
Tips for younger looking hands
- Protect your hands from the elements: Whether its cold weather or hot dish water, protect your hands. The skin on your hands is very thin and not protecting them will cause aging.
- Suncreen for the hands: Since hands are the most sun-exposed part of your body, apply anti-aging hand balm with a high SPF daily. At all times skin must be protected from UV rays, which cause damage even in the winter.
- Lightening agents: If aging spots are already visible, try products that contain Vitamin C or kojic, which can reduce spots after only three months of daily use. Moisturizers with light-diffusing particles can also make bulging veins less noticeable.
- Exfoliate your hands: To get the best results from your hand creams, the hands need to be exfoliated, so that the creams you apply are absorbed into the skin
- Moisturise and Hydrate: By keeping it by your sink, you’ll get into the habit of applying lotion after you wash and dry your hands.
- Provide nourishment: For damaged or chapped skin you need a cream containing anti-inflammatories. Choose lavender and chamomile and avoid creams containing citrus or flowery ingredients, which can increase soreness and irritation
For more information on any of the treatments mentioned please call us on 806 3200
Comments are closed